Tuesday, January 19, 2010

New Drugs Today

Today was my first infusion of Zometa, a bone-building drug that is also used for osteoporosis. The infusion only took about 15-20 minutes and didn't need steroids or Benedryl with it, so it was quick and easy compared to chemo. Any side effects will likely happen in the first 48 hours, so I was told to take Tylenol every six hours until that time period is over. So far, so good. No side effects. Since the most common side effects are flu-like symptoms (fever, achiness, chills), that makes me pretty happy.

So right now the game plan is for me to stop the Tamoxifen as of today. I took it less than 90 days. It just didn't work for me the way it was supposed to. I guess I have super-charged ovaries. I got a shot of Lupron last month and then got a 3-month shot of it today since I tolerated it well. It puts me into menopause while it is in my system, so hot flashes are now part of my daily experience.

In a couple of weeks I will start another drug that is supposed to help combat the attack on my bones. That will be a daily pill--Arimidex. That, combined with monthly infusions of Zometa for the next couple of years, will be my new normal.

5 comments:

The Mac's said...

Love and prayers that the side effects stay away and that your migraines can be controlled also.

J said...

Super ovaries, huh? Why is that the parts we aren't using are always the ones working overtime?

Laurie & Denny said...

Love and prayers being sent your way..glad to hear that your Dr. finally is back and has you on routine..Stay STRONG like you ARE..
"Never be afraid of tomorrow as God is already there" That is my saying lately..
We love you..

Laurie said...

Am overtired from itchness of shingles...please excuse mess up in last post..
Laurie

The Hayes Zoo said...

Prayers for this new chapter....of a book you probably didn't want to read in the first place.

Abrazos...