Joe and I dropped the boys off at school 5 minutes early this morning and headed up to St. Raphael's radiology dept. to get my PICC line inserted. The only delay was that they had an extra "s" in my last name and needed to change it on all my paperwork. Everyone sticks an extra "s" in our last name!
The PICC line went in smoothly and easily. It hurts a bit because it is in the underside fleshy part of my upper arm. There are stitches to hold it in place and it is all bandaged up. I'll be taking Percocet tonight because between the PICC line and the port removal wound, it is going to be hard to sleep. I've had a difficult time sleeping already because of the port removal wound, but at least I was down to Tylenol for the pain.
So far, I liked the port better than the PICC line. I'm going to have to wear button-down or zippered clothes to get my sleeves over the tubing; there goes half my wardrobe.
We drove directly to the oncologist's office and the chemo room after the PICC line placement. Joe got me settled and then went to the deli to get me a muffin for breakfast. I knitted a bit, then dozed for a bit, and then it was time for lunch. Joe went out for that too--McDonalds! I dozed a bit again. Those chairs are really uncomfortable some days. They recline, but you have to put backwards pressure on them to keep them in the reclining position. So if you really fall asleep and relax your legs, your back comes flying forward. Can't you just imagine me launching off my chair one day?
Today's chemo was the second to the last one. After the next one (or maybe before?) I have to meet with my radiologist at Yale as well as my plastic surgeon. I'll also get the PICC line removed after the last chemo.
I'm seeing the light at the end of the chemo tunnel. But I'm as tired as a runner near the end of a marathon.
4 comments:
Poor baby - I feel for you with that in your arm. We are so glad it's almost over and pray that the next few days go by fast and you are soon feeling better. Hugs and love to you all.
Okay, who's bright idea was it to put chairs like that in a chemo room?!? Hmph.
That light at the end of the chemo tunnel is getting closer and closer and we're all cheering you on! You are an amazing woman and I admire you greatly! Love to you all.
Thinking of you - and I've frequently wondered who buys hospital furniture 'cause it is rarely comfy let alone pretty.
Post a Comment