Friday, January 2, 2009

No Chemo Today, But the Port is GONE!!!

Well, the oncologist wasn't happy with the tegaderm idea. She canceled chemo for today (which helped the nurses--they were running short on Taxol today) and got me into a different surgeon at my surgeon's practice. I saw Dr. Z at around 1 pm today and she took the port out in the office. She said once they are exposed to air they should really come out. Oh, and the whole scar splitting thing is actually not that common. Just another way in which I am special. [grin]

I thought that the port would just pop out when Dr. Z finished opening the scar, but it was held in there well by scar tissue. She really had to work to remove all the scar tissue in order to get it out. It is good to excel at something, but growing scar tissue wasn't really on my list of things I wanted to be good at.

Since I'm so sensitive to tape adhesives, she stitched the wound together and then put on surgical "superglue." It goes on clear and then dries purple--just the opposite of Elmer's Glue Stick. The boys are fascinated and repulsed by the result. They've each asked to see it several times.

I'm taking some of the Percoset I already have for the pain and using ice for the swelling. I'm still on the Keflex and so will continue that in case there is any low grade infection going on.

On Tuesday I'll go to St. Raphael's radiology dept to have a PICC line installed. Then I'll go to the oncologist's office to have a chemo treatment. That bumps my final treatment back about 5 days. I'm too drugged right now to be more than mildly disappointed by the delay.

Spiff's funny comment for the day: "One good thing about chemo--you don't leave any hair in the bathtub!"

3 comments:

Monica said...

Praying that you have no more delays. Glad to know that the scar split is uncommon. Ever since reading your post about it splitting I've been sort of paranoid about my own port site. Love the comment about no hair in the bathtub. Your guys all sound like they've been great sports. Hugs, Monica

Anonymous said...

Ouch ouch ouch! This is not the way we wanted the port gone. Hope the rest of the weekend is going better. Take care and stay warm. Love and hugs -

Jodi said...

Still praying for you Sandy. Your boys looked so adorable in their pjs. Glad to see they can tease you about the hair. Great kids! Sorry about the delay. Will keep praying for you!

Jodi(my3stars)