Wednesday, November 5, 2008

We Need a Little Christmas

I've decided that on good days, I'm going to work toward getting ready for Christmas. Slow and steady makes the race, right?

Today I'm listening to a CD called Christmas Cocktails. I love hearing Lou Rawls and others belt out Christmas tunes. (Christmas Hint: I don't have the other two CDs in this series.) While I'm dancing in the kitchen, I'm making Kelly's Cheery Red Strawberries. They freeze really well and look great on a plate of cookies for gift giving.

Kelly's Cheery Red Strawberries

4 small boxes strawberry jello (not sugar free)
4 tsp red food coloring
2 tsp vanilla
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups finely chopped nuts (I'm using pecans because I have them)
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
Red and green colored sugar

Place first 4 ingredients in mixer. Mix thoroughly. Stir in nuts and coconut. Chill for at least 30 minutes or until mixture stiffens.

Scoop out mixture with small melon baller or scoop and roll into ball. Flatten one end and taper the other end to look like a strawberry. Place on wax-paper lined cookie sheet and keep forming strawberries. Roll 3/4 of strawberry in red sugar. Dip flat end in green sugar.

These freeze wonderfully! Layer them in a container with waxed paper between the layers.

Yield: about 100 strawberries.

No comments: