Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Oh Happy Day!

Today was the LAST CHEMO TREATMENT!!! Yes, I'm shouting. Can't you here me from where you are sitting? I'm thinking Cara should be able to hear me all the way over in the Middle East!

Joe and I dropped the boys off at school (they were on a 90-minute delay due to snow) and then drove to the oncologist's office. Since we had some time to kill before the appointment, we drove over to Krispy Kreme (the only one in CT!) and picked up a dozen donuts for the nurses and staff. They were all very happy to see us when we walked in.

They drew my blood and did my counts while waiting for the doctor to arrive. All the doctors were running late due to the snow and school delays. My counts were right on the borderline, so Nurse Cheryl told me to beg the doctor to give me my last dose today instead of waiting a week. Joe told her that we had another box of donuts in the car--we could try bribing Dr. L with those. [grin]

When Dr. L got in and saw me, she agreed that I could have my last dose today and a shot of Neulasta tomorrow. I will see the radiologist to touch base with her, and start radiation about two weeks after today.

After radiation, I will come back to see Dr. L and she will start me on five years of Tamoxifen. After that is done, I will be on another drug for five years. My greatest risk for getting cancer again would be in the next year or two. My scans all looked great, however, so she doesn't see any spots that worry her.

It is hard to believe that this part is done. Joe kept asking me what I wanted to do to celebrate (besides take a nap) but I didn't want to make any plans until I actually had the IV hooked up. I was worried that my counts would be too low or something else would delay it. We picked up McDonald's on the way home, so that was our celebration dinner. [grin]

Oh, I forgot to tell you the best parts: My new BFF, the nurse-practitioner Virginia, took out my PICC line right after my treatment. Hooray! And when I went back to the treatment room, Joe was there with the boys, and each boy was holding a balloon for me. The nurses all cheered and said goodbye as we all walked out.

Joe and Spiff are at the library to pick up movies for a family movie night. Entropy Boy is playing Hot Wheels Road Race on the Wii. Hank is chasing after the ribbons hanging from the balloons. (Don't worry, I'll cut the ribbons off before I go to bed tonight so the eater-of-indigestible-things cat doesn't eat them.)

This is the song that keeps running through my mind right now:

Oh happy day (oh happy day)
Oh happy day (oh happy day)
When Jesus washed (when Jesus washed)
When Jesus washed (when Jesus washed)
Jesus washed (when Jesus washed)
Washed my sins away (oh happy day)
Oh happy day (oh happy day)

He taught me how (oh, He taught me how)
To wash (to wash, to wash)
Fight and pray (to fight and pray)
Fight and pray
And he taught me how to live rejoicing
yes, He did (and live rejoicing)
Oh yeah, every, every day (every, every day)
(oh yeah) Every day!

Oh happy day (oh happy day)
Oh happy day, yeah (oh happy day)
When Jesus washed (when Jesus washed)
When my Jesus washed (when Jesus washed)
When Jesus washed [hits high note] (when Jesus washed)
My sins away (oh happy day)
I'm talking about that happy day (oh happy day)

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad that it is finished! I am praying -

Liesl

Unknown said...

I am crying tears of joy!!! Oh, HAPPY DAY!!!!

Love you, my friend!!!

Susan

J said...

Oh Happy Day is right!!!!!!!

~Kay

Jan said...

YAY!!!

Monica said...

YIPPPPEEEEEE!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

And I'm so grateful to have your blog to follow and see the light at the end of the tunnel when the going gets rough. :0)

Love ya,
Monica

Anonymous said...

Oh that song is going to be in my head all night and I will rejoice to God for getting you to this point!

Anonymous said...

Sandy,
I've just lurked here since I had the news on SL, and I can feel your joy in Australia.! I'm all choked up 'cause my emaginary friend has got through this. Even though I've never "spoken" to you before, I can say with all my heart, God Is Good.

Bella In Aus

Robin said...

*wiping my eyes*

I am so happy for this great news.

Anonymous said...

PP, I am SOOOO overjoyed! I'm happy dancing and shouting! I will eat some chocolate in your name tonight...
HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

PP, I am SOOOO overjoyed! I'm happy dancing and shouting! I will eat some chocolate in your name tonight...
HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

oh the anonymous who is eating chocolate in your name..that's me..reepijoy. I can't for the life of me sign in here...

Anonymous said...

I'd type more, but I'm doing the happy dance for you!!!

Amy said...

Yippee!!!! So good to have that good news after this last week! We've been counting down on this end, too! Now I'll be thinking "Oh Happy Day" all night ;)

Missus Wookie said...

Oh Happy Day! A Great Day indeed :)

Listen to this one:

http://www.last.fm/music/Eddie+From+Ohio/_/Great+Day

mideastmom said...

God is good!!!

(I teared up at the boys-with-balloons part. Sigh.)

mideastmom said...

And I forgot to complain: I was asleep! You woke me up! It was the middle of the night here!

Ah, well. I guess it was worth it. :-)

Judy said...

Congratulations!!! One hurdle down - it's a great feeling. I remember when my daughter finished her chemo - it was a big relief but sad to not see the great chemo nurses.

I am very happy for you. Stay Strong and Keep the Faith.

Your friend from Breckenridge, MN
Judy

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news, Punkin!! I am soooooo happy for you! PTL!!!! Yum, I love Krispy Kreme donuts! So sweet about your boys waiting there for you with balloons!
Hugs from Tig

Kristy said...

Hallelujah, no more chemo! :) So happy for you. Praise the Lord!

ChristineMM said...

What fantastic news!!