One drawback of the PICC line is that it is hard to shower. It can't get wet, so I've been sticking with sponge baths for the most part. Tonight though, Joe wrapped my upper arm in Saran Wrap and taped it down so that I could take a nice, hot shower. It felt sooooo good. Afterwards I flushed the PICC line again, like I do every day. So far it hasn't given me any trouble.
I still ache from the Taxol. I took Percocet this morning, and then waited until after the boys were in bed to take it again. I'm glad I can stretch it out (it only lasts 4 hours), but by the end of the day I'm trying really hard not to whimper. It's harder to distract myself from the pain at the end of the day.
As I'm typing this, Joe is doing yoga with the Wii Fit. He does the yoga regularly to stretch out his back. He says it really helps him sleep at night and get going in the morning. I'm watching him do all the stretching with envy. I don't want to pull at where they sewed me up after my port removal, nor do I want to loosen the dressing on the PICC line. Plus, I'm a little unsteady on my feet with the pain and the numbness in my toes. The last thing I need to do is attempt the Palm Tree pose and go down like the loggers are coming through. Soon though. Soon! I want to be able to stretch as well as Joe and the cat do.
On a much sadder front, my grandmother has been moved to palliative care. The doctors are just trying to make her comfortable at this point. She has been in and out of the hospital since her gall bladder surgery and has never really bounced back. She has pneumonia and her blood pressure is all over the place. She has not been eating for a while now. She was born with only one kidney, and that one is down to functioning at 12%.
The family has gathered; the pastors have met with her. I'm 1800 miles away and still on post-chemo medication for pain. I'm not sure my oncologist would even let me anywhere near an airport with the way my immune system is at the moment.
I feel so bad for my mom. She's the oldest surviving child, but my grandmother has always been the great matriarch. It has to be really hard for my mom right now, and I think it would help her for me to be there. [Sigh] This is the first thing in a long time that cancer has *stopped* me from doing.
3 comments:
So sorry to hear about your grandmother. For different reasons, obviously, we are not able to be with our moms as they continue to face such situations, and I know it is hard.
mom says no way do we want you anywhere near an airport or anyplace else that would endanger you at this point. Gramma knows you love her and are with her in spirit, love and prayers just like she has been with you since you began this journey. Just knowing you want to be with us is enough. We love you.
I'm sorry about your grandmother Sandy. Still praying for ((you))
Jodi (my3starsofthesea)
Post a Comment