Saturday, February 7, 2009

Amazing Arnica

Today I got to sleep in until 7 a.m. Bliss! Joe and Spiff went out to run errands while Entropy Boy and I puttered around the house. We made banana-peanut butter-chocolate chip muffins together. We even played with Play Dough. He ran a seafood restaurant and made me Play Dough delicacies while I knitted.

One of the things that Joe did while running errands was to pick up a prescription for me that had been waiting at the pharmacy for several days. I had told my oncologist at my last appointment that I was having neuropathy (pain and tingling) in my feet. It was keeping me awake at night and I was nearly out of percocet. So she wrote me an Rx that was supposed to help with neuropathy and warned me that the drug could cause nausea.

Well, heck. I don't want to be nauseous. So I looked around to see what else I could do. I remembered that we have some arnica rub that works well on bruises and swelling. Arnica is pretty amazing stuff and has been used for centuries (Remember Little Women? It's mentioned in there.) So I tried it on my feet. It worked! My feet didn't hurt in the morning!

So now I put stuff called The Arnica Rub on my feet twice a day. It has arnica, St. John's Wort, comfrey, and some other nice herbs in it. I've been able to sleep three nights without having to take pain medication. Yippee! I have the Rx from the oncologist as a back up, but for now I'm going to be using the arnica because it doesn't make me nauseous or put more strain on my liver. My poor liver needs a rest after all that chemo.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Terrific news!

The Hayes Zoo said...

Yeah!!!

Although I will admit that as I read this I kept thinking Arsenic and Old Lace....and then I was thinking, "whatever works for her is just fine"!!

Duh - I must need more coffee.

ChristineMM said...

Arnica is often sold as a homeopathic remedy. Many people don't know about them.

I used to use one that helped with sleep.

There is a combo remedy for different things like head colds and flu. The cold one (Cold Calm) helped our family the head cold limit to 2-3 days tops, in my family. The flu one really lessened the illness also (called oscillococcinum).

The little homeopathic remedy under the tongue remedies have always helped my kids. One is for leg pains due to growing. My kids swear they take a headache away too. And they have arnica tablets for under the tongue also for when a child has a pain or bruise.

I figure it is worth a try and my kids swear they work so I'd rather use them than ibuprofen or other things. Even if some western med doctors think it is not real.

They are all available at a health food store.

Oh and another thing that really worked for us is Sambucol which is an elderberry extract that is an antiviral. It can be taken as a preentative or in larger doses when first coming down with a minor illness (per directions on label). There is a kids formula and adult. I figure it can't hurt...it is a liquid, you take a small amount with a spoon.

Glad to hear the arnica is working for you. Hope you are doing well.