Sunday, October 19, 2008

I Saw a Couple of Double-Takes on Friday

When I go to pick the boys up from school, I don't wait in the "van line." Entropy Boy is in K and gets out about 10-15 minutes before Spiff is released. I park the van (not an easy feat--the parking lot is packed!) and go get EB. We get some time to quietly talk about his day before his big brother comes bursting out of the building, talking a mile a minute.

On Friday, for the first time, I did not wear a hat. I had on black boots, blue jeans, a red turtleneck, and my black leather jacket. On my head, I wore a black bandanna, biker-style. It is pretty obvious when I wear a bandanna that I have no hair underneath. I thought it was pretty funny the number of double-takes I saw. A bald woman in leather is not something one sees every day at school!

Spiff was not phased at all. My head was covered and that is his only concern. He is getting used to seeing me without a hat or bandanna at home. My baldness doesn't embarrass me and I hold my head high.

I wonder what will happen if I wear my red wig? [grin]

3 comments:

BETHANY said...

When my mom was doing chemo she was told to not wear a wig at home so that she wouldn't forget to take it off when doing something like opening the oven. A melted wig isn't a very good thing. :)

Anyway, one day there was a knock at the door, a somewhat unusual occasion as we lived out in the sticks. My mom talked to the man at the door, someone who lived up the road, then went about her business. A little while later she looked in the mirror and started cracking up. She normally covered her head in some way before talking to other people, but had completely spaced it because the knock at the door had caught her offguard. She said it suddenly made sense why the guy seemed so uncomfortable and awkward through the conversation. Poor guy saw some bald woman with random scraggly hairs still in place answer the door and was caught by surprise.

I bet you'll get lots of double-takes with the wig, particularly from the people who noticed your baldness a few days earlier. :)

Anonymous said...

You go girl!! I can envision you haveing a "little" bit o'
fun with this. Wonder what they'll think if you go with the henna tats? We'll have to send you the skull sticker with pink barrettes Scott stuck to the van (a.k.a. grocery-getter) that I've been driving. That would complete the image LOL.
Hopey you had a GREAT weekend
Kris

Linda said...

I think you should put some skull and crossbones on your jacket and really freak them out. ;)

I love your attitude!

mompotter