Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Another Treasure From This Past Weekend

One of the things Joe's dad saved for me was Nanny's sewing machine. He said Nanny rarely used it, but had saved everything that came with it.

I opened up the case today to find a circa 1953 Singer 301 Featherweight in mint condition. The foot pedal doesn't even show any wear.












I oiled it and gave it a good going-over. There isn't even any lint anywhere inside of it! I am amazed; it is like the machine was in a time warp. The little piece of paper with "Inspected by" is still in the case.

It sews like a dream--much better than the machine I've used for the last 15 years. I could not afford a comparable modern machine of this quality. I am in love!

4 comments:

mideastmom said...

I'm so jealous! Those are *the best*! And I don't even sew. :-P

But I know that they're the best, because part of the reason I don't sew is that my sewing machine was Singer's first attempt at reproducing a more modern version of the Featherweight. Even experienced sewers hate it.

My mil was so happy to find them out again, because she loved her mother's old one. Now, she's wishing she'd just found sil and I old ones. Oh well. Some day I will learn to sew. :-)

And I'm really happy for you that you have one. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Grats!! So glad you got Nanny's sewing machine! Enjoy! :)

Kristy said...

Really, Sandy, you're causing some crises of covetousness over here! :p

ChristineMM said...

It really looks brand new. Some of the best gifts are not holiday related and are used, wouldn't you say?

I plan to finish a project with denim. I have inherited my husband's grandmother's machine which I'm told got a lot of use but can plow through leather and denim with ease.