Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Big Storm

The Friday after chemo is normally a quiet day for us. Sandy usually feels pretty well during the morning and afternoon and starts feeling the side-effects of the drugs during the evening and over the next few days.

Yesterday, the boys' school was cancelled because a winter storm was forecast for our region. So mom and the boys were able to enjoy a day together watching movies, baking cookies, and playing games.

The snow started around 11:00 and was soon falling at a rate of an inch or more an hour in parts of the county. We received a total of 8 inches in our town before it ended in the early evening. Even in Minnesota, where we've spent most of our lives, that's a lot of snow; here in Connecticut, because of the inadequate/overtaxed infrastructure, it's paralyzing.

By 1:00 there were already couple of inches on the ground. The Merritt Parkway was closed in Greenwich and near the Sikorski bridge because of unsafe conditions. I was concerned about making it home safely so I decided to leave work early. On a normal day, if I get a head-start on the rush, it's about a half-hour drive home. Yesterday, using a combination of the Merrit parkway, county roads, and residential neighborhoods, it took over two hours. For the poor souls stuck in the evening commute, things were even worse. According to the traffic reports, both the Merrit Parkway and I-95 were averaging 6 to 8 miles an hour and had occasional closures due to hazardous conditions.

When I got home, Sandy let me open one Christmas present: a Power Shovel! While I cleared the driveway, the boys played with their sleds and tried to build a fort. I had to clear the driveway twice yesterday and again this morning. The boys are loving the snow. Entropy Boy was out at least 4 times today and he enlisted my help in building a fort in the front yard.

We're supposed to get more snow tomorrow and I'll probably have the boys out again a few times during the day to give Sandy a break. She's starting to feel the bone and muscle pain from the chemo today and has been napping a bit more.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I'm glad Sandy gave you the shovel early - giving it to you next week and watching you suffer this week would have just been cruel! You married a wise woman.