Sunday, December 14, 2008

Retro-Rama!


Tamale Day was wonderful! We chatted for a bit and finally got started around 2 pm. By 3 pm we had made 9-10 dozen tamales using all the chicken and beans and most of the pork. We had quite an assembly line going and everything got done very quickly. We steamed up the black bean tamales in a lobster pot and they were yummy.

While there, a number of us noticed that RP had a lovely Christmas tablecloth on her kitchen table. She said it was her mother's and was probably from around the 1950s. It was very retro and very nice.

Today Joe, the boys, and I went to Albany, NY to go see Joe's grandparents. Joe's father is in town to clean out Joe's grandmother's apartment because she has now moved into the nursing home with Joe's grandfather. It was good to see the two of them at the nursing home, and they were in good spirits to see all of us. But Joe's father has had a TON of work cleaning out the apartment. He asked if there was anything we wanted of Nanny and Poppy's. I asked (thinking of RP) if she had any old table linens, etc. Look what I came home with!


I also was able to bring home several aprons from that era. They are so fun; I love the fabrics from the 40's and 50's.

We also brought back a number of kitchen items: retro Tupperware, an old egg beater that Joe's dad used when he was a child, some enameled stock pots, and a fruit dish that Joe's dad made in shop class in junior high. It will be nice to use the items and think of the history behind them.

A quick update on Entropy Boy: we went to his regular pediatrician on Friday and she checked him over again. The steroid and the inhaler had not cleared up his lungs. She said that he does not have asthma because, if he did, the drugs would have worked better. Since he is in a new school, she said, he is probably just getting illnesses back to back. She put him on antibiotics because there is enough going on with him that he is starting to need them. He is to continue the inhaler because it does help his lungs. If he gets sick again this winter, we may have to dig the inhaler out again, but asthma it is not.

The boys have one more week of school left before a two week Christmas break. I have chemo again on Thursday, so I won't have to take them to school during my bad days. I ordered Story of the World vol. 3 on CD so they can listen to that while I am resting. They have started CD 1 already and are begging to listen to it each night before they go to bed. They LOVE history!

2 comments:

Kristy said...

The tablecloth is just awesome. Toooooo cute, and the history behind all the things is what makes them so great.

The assembly line was a lot of fun, and the finished products - I managed to steam mine up by using kebab skewers to suspend a metal collander in my big stockpot (gotta love grad school kitchen ingenuity) - were fantastic. The chicken is just like the chicken filling in the quesadillas that I miss so much from Mexican restaurants in NC!

Anonymous said...

The tablecloth is wonderful. Glad that your tamale party was so successful. The black bean ones sound really great. I've never had those before.