I will have my first round of Taxol this Thursday. I'm a bit nervous about all the steroids I have to take--I don't like myself when I'm on steroids. I don't like anyone else when I'm on steroids. [sigh] Only 4 rounds to go. Only 4 rounds to go.
We had a lovely Thanksgiving--good food, good friends, and a lot of fun. The boys had a 5 day break so we had 5 whole days without the alarm clock. It was wonderful. Joe said I was almost like I was last June, before the diagnosis. I thought that was interesting, because *I* can certainly tell that there is a difference. I just can't do as much as I used to.
I recently read a piece called The Spoon Theory that talks about living with an illness. It is an apt explanation of what life is like for me now. I'd love for you to follow the link and read it.
12 comments:
Hugs, Punkin. I am crying now. That was such a good way for me to see into your life these days. I can somewhat relate, since I had a time in my life, about 12 months, when I was diagnosed as being in the early stges of MS. I thank you for choosing to give us (JJ, Lizzy, MA'AM, and me) one of your spoons when you stayed at my house last month. Prayers and hugs, my friend. Tig
I love that story Punkin. It makes perfect sense to me. Before my heart attack(s) I had unlimited spoons. Now I don't. But I have more than I did a few months ago. Praying so hard that soon you'll have more spoons per day too.
-- Jan
Oh, Punkin. Hugs.
That was beautiful and now I think I get it. I'm going to share this with someone I know in the hopes that it will help him also. I also feel incredibly blessed that you chose to use one of your spoons with us last month. Still praying for you, friend.
First of all, what's with the "Punkin" thing? I obviously missed something. :-P
Second, thank you *so* much for posting that story. While I had a passing understanding of living with illness, it helped greatly to have a tangible explanation. I'm forwarding it to a friend (A&M'sMom on the forums) who is living with Lyme, in case she hasn't seen it.
Blessings.
Oh, and since you are the one who pointed out sassy illness-related t-shirts to me in the first place, did you look around the "But You Don't Look Sick" website? My favorite is the "My bald head is cuter than your bad haircut" apparel. :-)
Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! The spoon story was very touching. Just four more rounds to go (and steroids DO suck, plain and simple), and then, I pray, your silverware drawer would runneth over.
Punkin is a nickname the TKers on SL gave me. I tend to turn into a pumpkin at 10 pm (rather than midnight), which is only 7 pm for the West Coast people. So for them, I was pooping out just as the party was getting started. So they started calling me Punkin.
Thank you so much for sharing that story. I have tears in my eyes after reading it, but it helped me so much to understand how you and others I know are living. Praying for you as you start the taxol and the steroids.
I love that spoon theory - have used it many times to explain to people that I don't have so much energy as them doesn't mean I don't have the motivation or love them less.
Hope the Taxol isn't as bad you think it will be.
Hi,
Thanks for the spoon story, it was a wonderful way for me to gain at least a smidgen of insight into what you are going through. I passed it on to a friend with MS. She was so thankful to you for giving her a way to explain to others how she feels as her family is having a tough time dealing when her MS "flares".
Hey, did you know that your blog site is "deemed inappropriate viewing material" at work. So, does that make me a blog stalker when I start checking in on you at work. I wonder which step on the Blog Stalker 12-step program I'd be classified as?
Hope all goes better than expected with the Taxol regiment!
Kris and fam!
Inappropriate at work? I wonder if they're blocking Blogger specifically or if the naughty word "Breast" is causing the problem. They had to reset ours at work because, in my work with healthcare data, I'm often pulling up pages with the words for body parts on them. The AMA website, certainly isn't inappropriate for work!
I'm sometimes surprised by the poor implementation of web filtering--I recently had a music website reject my searches for a record by Dick Dale and the Deltones because it contained "inapproprate" language.
Post a Comment