Friday, December 12, 2008

The Rains Came Down and the Floods Came Up. . .

I woke Joe up at 4:30 this morning to tell him that the water alarms were going off in the basement again. He got up to vacuum up the excess water (he figures about 20 gallons worth) that was leaking in the back door, the back corner, and the door between the garage and the basement. Most of it is up now, but it wasn't the most excellent way to start the day for him, I'm sure. I made sure to repay him with lots of hugs and kisses just to offset the unpleasant wakeup call.

On the cancer front, I have been given leave to eat fresh fruits and vegetables whenever I want now! The Taxol doesn't hit my immune system as hard, so my counts were good even though I didn't have any shots last week. I'm rejoicing over small blessings!

So far the Taxol hasn't affected my fingers and toes. I don't know what will happen with successive treatments, but for now I'm counting my blessings. My eyebrows and eyelashes were thinning at a rapid rate before the Taxol, so now they are looking really sparse. I definitely look like a cancer patient now. But since I *am* a cancer patient, it's ok.

My skin is thin and dry, and it sloughs off at the slightest provocation. Washing my face in the morning becomes an exfoliation extravaganza, so I have to be really careful. I'd like to have a face when this is all through and not rub it off before I'm done with treatment.

Entropy Boy is back in school and will have his re-check today on his lungs to see if the steroids and the inhaler are helping. He's been complaining of not feeling well again. The complaints started up right when he started back to school. I think he's trying to get to stay home some more, just to see if he can. He's my fence rattler and really needs to know that the boundaries in his little life are strong and secure. So I sent him back to school with the charge that he is *not* to see the nurse. He will be going to the doctor today and the doctor will check him over, so there is no reason to go down to the nurse's office today.

Tomorrow is tamale-making day! I'm getting together with some friends to make tamales for Christmas Eve. We'll make up a bunch and then freeze them until they are needed. We'll be making three kinds: pork colorado, chicken chile, and black bean/cheese.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I come to your house for tamales? They sound good - I'll take the pork ones please. Keep that face - we love it. Who knew different things would be affected in this journey of cancer fighting. Hope the rest of your week is good. Hugs and kisses to all. Sorry about the extra work Joe! We are facing a blizzard here.

Anonymous said...

Happy that you have the green light to eat what you want.

Have a great time at your tamale making party!

Amy said...

Who knew when we were kids the day would come where we rejoice about being able to eat fresh fruits & veggies? I'm glad you've got spoons for getting together with friends- and to keep us all posted on what's going on now in your journey. We love you & miss you- especially with all the traditional Xmas stuff going on (I made raisin cookies & am making Gramma's molasses cookies tonight). We're thinking of you...Love, ABCD

ChristineMM said...

Fresh fruit is something to be grateful for. Simple pleasures.

Glad you are feeling well despite the skin challenges.

I have no idea what soap or shower gel you use, just in case you are using store bought, factory made chemical stuff---
you may want to seriously consider using an all natural, oatmeal based soap. It is much more gentle on the skin than chemical based commercial soaps. It is less drying. Oatmeal also helps people with eczema and other skin conditions.

Two local options from Orange CT--You can check Trader Joe's for a possible lower price than buying expensive soaps from a natural health food store or a spa/fancy type place. I make homemade oatmeal soap and it comes out to 35 cents a bar so it is really overpriced at $6 per bar that some places charge.

Also there is a family that runs Sunflower Farm located on Derby Milford Road in Orange that makes natural soaps. They have an online business but I believe you can go over there and buy soap in person. You can call them to check.

If I had some extra of my own homemade oatmeal soap, I'd drive it over to you and give it to you, but I've run out.

Hang in there. You are in my prayers.

ChristineMM said...

I meant to share the site with contact info for Sunflower Farms in Orange CT.

http://www.sunflowerfarm.com/

Sandy said...

Thanks Christine! Your first comment reminded me that before my skin got so dry I was using goat's milk soap that I had ordered from an online friend. I ran out of it about a month ago and was using store soap after that. She sent along some samples of some other scents with my order and I used one last night to wash my face. (Mmmmm! Sweet cinnamon!) My skin face feels nice--I'll have to check out Sunflower Farms. Thanks!