Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Neupogen Day

Today I got a shot that tells my bone marrow to kick white blood cell production into high gear. It's my oncologist's standard procedure when you are on high doses of chemo. From what I can glean from the info sheet, it's derived from e. coli bacteria. Lovely! I thought I wasn't supposed to eat some raw fruits and veggies because of the risk of e. coli, and now they are giving it to me on purpose. Oh well. As my SL friend Sooz said "Die, cancer! Die!"

The main side effect of Neupogen is bone pain, which I'm feeling a bit in my back. I guess it is better than feeling it in my rib cage and sternum, which is the other option. Advil is taking care of the pain pretty well. The nurse said Tylenol would not likely touch it. I love it when nurses are open and practical--it is so much more helpful to know what to expect and what options I have to do something about side effects.

I also found out that over the counter antacids like Prilosec are the best solution to the reflux I've been having. So now the reflux is coming under control as well. I'm starting to feel almost normal again. Sort of.

1 comment:

Welcome to my blog! said...

Hi, I'm mikat from the SL forums. Just wanted to note that I didn't always take the shot. I never had side effects from it (I took nuelasta) but I asked my doc if I had to take it. He let me get a CBC at day 10, when you are most vulnerable, and if my counts were okay he let me skip it. I skipped 3 shots. I had my last round of chemo today, so I am done PTL!! Blessings to you.