Thursday, December 4, 2008

One Taxol Down

Well, the first dose of Taxol is done. I didn't have any bad reactions yet--no flatlining or anything. Cheryl the nurse checked my bp every 15 minutes the first hour and every 1/2 hour for two hours after that and everything was good.

I don't have a picture of today, but I was wearing all black. The oncologist asked if they were supposed to be intimidated by my skull and crossbones head scarf. I told her that I was wearing it to show my displeasure at being there for chemo today. It was my rebellion outfit. Joe asked why I wasn't wearing Goth makeup. [grin]

Tomorrow I get to look forward to looking like I have a sunburned face. That is a side effect of the steroids. Then around Sunday or Monday the bone pain should kick in. Another patient there said that the bone pain, while not pleasant, was easier to deal with than the fatigue of the A/C chemo. She said "You ache, but you can get out of bed." That works for me.

It was interesting to sit there and have conversations with the other patients. We compared notes about surgeons, hospitals, chemo side effects, decisions about reconstruction--everything. Joe was there for some of the conversations, but we all talked very openly. He's been with me every step of the way, so knows what they are all talking about. And those of us going through cancer see our breasts (or lack thereof) in a very detached, medical way. It is hard to think of your breasts as a thing of beauty when they are trying to kill you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well halfway done is a good thing! Sure glad about the flatlining bit! Don't scare your old mom that way. You really did sound tired tonight - hope tomorrow is better. I'll say extra prayers tonight. Love Ya.