Wednesday, September 10, 2008

In Response to My Day That Was Supposed to be Good

When I posted the results of my lymph node biopsies on the Sonlight Forums, the response was a flood of prayers and support. I know some people don't understand the draw of "e-maginary" friends on a forum, but the friendships I have made there are real and I treasure them. We laugh and cry and pray together. We share the common bonds of homeschooling, love of books, and most of all, love of God.

One of the responses that helped me the most came from someone who has battled cancer herself, and is still sparring with it. She said:

Oh my! That's a lot to take in at one time. I'm sending gentle hugs your way, and cyber hand holding too.

While our journeys are different, some aspects are the same. I know those feelings. I'm acquainted with bursting bubbles and balloons. I know how high that hill you're climbing looks tonight.

The psychologist who runs the support group I used to go to told me something he's learned in his journey with cancer. Pain and hurt are present things. They can be dealt with in the present. Suffering is what you get when you project them into the future. Only deal with what you have to deal with today. And find something in each day to enjoy. (Yes, I'm trying hard to listen to my own advice!)

Today you got rid of the last of those blasted tubes! That's worth celebrating!

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Sandy.

Oh -- as for the next step --Having a port put in isn't bad at all. They give you nice, happy meds. You'll be glad you have it.

She gave me permission to post her response here so that those of you not on the forums could read it as well. It has helped me put things back in perspective. Things still aren't easy, but I need to keep my focus on this portion of the trail, not on the hill ahead of me.

Please keep Connie in your prayers as well. September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thing to have friends - seen and unseen on emails. Tell our oldest grandson we have launched a star in your honor - it's shining brightly just like his mother. We love you all.

Amy said...

I am so glad you have someone to help you navigate on this horrific journey. I have been on autopilot myself trying to fathom Monday's news and the load you are having to carry. Dion and I are so worried for you & will do what we can to help lighten that load. We love you all & wish we were closer to be able to help more.

Florie said...

"As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens his friend."

I'm glad you have been challenged and encouraged by a godly friend, and one who knows the road you are traveling because she has been there, too.

Be blessed,
Florie

Anonymous said...

Keeping you in my prayers, Sandy. Also lifting up Connie, per your request. I hear ya on the E-maginary friend concept being difficult for some to "get". I was trying to explain my e-friends to some new homeschooling friends here in Mystic. I asked them to pray for you, BTW. They were having a hard time wrapping their minds around the idea that the only friend that I had in Connecticut, before my move, was my friend in New Haven whom I had finally gotten to meet at a BFM in Williamsburg, VA last year; but, whom I had "spoken with" lots of times, for several years, via Cyber Space. LOL!!! Cyber hugs from Tig.