Monday, September 8, 2008

Today was SUPPOSED to be a good day. . .

I went to see the plastic surgeon today and had the other two drains taken out. I was rejoicing that they were finally gone. My torso just feels so much better now. I wasn't nearly as drugged up this time, but happy to have them go. Joe and I stopped by Dairy Queen for an Arctic Freeze (didn't they used to call them Mr. Misty?) to celebrate.

And then we went to the oncologist's office. She does not have the results on the CT scans back yet, but she called and found out the results of the lymph node biopsies from my surgery.

The surgeon took 2 nodes first, and 1 was positive for cancer. Then he removed another 4 and 2-3 of them were positive for cancer. So he removed 13 more and sent them to the lab for testing. Of the last 13 removed, six tested positive for cancer.
Now I know why the muscles in my right armpit have been so sore. They removed a lot of nodes!

My cancer is now considered Stage 3. Since they found it in so many nodes, she said that there is a high risk of recurrence--so I'm going to have two months of radiation after the chemo. The oncologist wants me to get the port-a-cath put in next week, if I can, which would be a half-day outpatient procedure. Then she'd like to start chemo as early as the 18th of this month, although she said we could wait until the 25th if I didn't feel physically or mentally up to starting on the 18th.

How am I supposed to feel "up to" chemo? I have 16 weeks of chemo ahead of me, followed by 2 months of daily radiation treatments, followed by 6-8 years of Tamoxifen and about 5 years of another drug. I'm still not supposed to be raising my arms above my head or lifting anything.

I feel like I was this great big happy balloon after getting out the drains, and then somebody pulled the plug on the balloon. All the air came out of me and the world made this great big raspberry sound.

I'm back at the "why me?" stage right now.

4 comments:

Kristy said...

The freezes at DQ were called Mr. Misty's just three years ago, for sure - the lime ones are one of the my favorite things.

I'll be praying for you and for wisdom figuring out when you're ready to start chemo. How much can they do for you and the pain in your chest if there are heaving-related side effects? You can do this - it's totally time to take these jerk-renegade-think-they-can-grow-whereever-they want cells down. Take care!

Jodi said...

(((hugs))) Praying for you. Praying for your strength to get through the chemo and radiation. And for your comfort through it all. God Bless You, Jodi

Joe said...

Sandy...Sorry to hear your having a tough time. We have a lot of people praying for you. Karol Peterson, Director of Chruch Life at Edinbrook Church here in Brooklyn Park wanted me to pass this message to you:
***
" I’m so sorry to hear about Sandy’s type 3 cancer. Bless her heart! It’s hard to understand the emotions that one goes through when they are dealing with cancer unless you’ve had it. My heart breaks for her and your son and those of you who have to sit by and watch her pain—both physically and emotionally. Please let her know that others who don’t even know her are praying for her. And, if possible encourage her not to get stuck in the “why me.” In a way, the rest of us should say, “why not me.” There are no answers to these issues that happen when we live in a fallen world. Satan loves to destroy. The only hope we have is in a sick-free, sadness-free eternal home when we serve the Lord. Until then, we just keep taking one day at a time, trusting God to go through our crisis with us. Hold tight, my friends! Love you!"
***


We love you and your family and hurt for all of you. Joe & Bev

Reepijoy said...

my heart goes out to you. The news stinks, but our God is greater. I don't want to say anything trite, but know it's okay to question, God already knows your heart.
He will bear you up and carry you through this. Gentle hugs. Lizzy