Tuesday, August 19, 2008

And a trip to the dentist . . .

Dh had a crown fall out recently (eating frozen Dots will do that to your teeth, you know). He looked up emergency dentists covered by our insurance, since his dentist's office is closed on the weekends. He ended up at a dentist's office in Trumbull and really liked them.

The upshot is that I had my first dentist appointment in about three years. I'm bad; I know. I have a *very* small mouth and a routine cleaning can leave my jaw in pain for days. We won't even go into what the x-rays do to me, once they finally get them in there. I had a bad experience with my last dentist, so just didn't make another appointment with them.

So today I went and had a checkup because chemo can do a real number on your teeth. I have two small cavities starting (my first cavities in 10 years!), but other than that everything looks good. The hygienist scolded me for not flossing often enough, but said I must brush well because I didn't have much tartar buildup at all.

Boy does my jaw hurt now. Blegh.

I came out of the appointment with special toothpaste and special mouth rinse. The dentist was going to do a quick search online today to see if there were any new products out there for chemo patients.

So now I can add the dentist's office to my "team" of people working to get/keep me healthy.

No comments: