Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thursday - Wrap Up

11:50 p.m.

I just wrapped up the evenings calls to our families. I've got so much more to write than I've got words or energy right now, but I'll at least try to summarize the end of the day and continue writing in the morning.

We had a little time together after the pastor left and then the nurse and interns came in to check on her. They changed her gown, emptied the drains, took a few readings, and gave her some more pain medication. The doctor in charge (I forgot his title) said that things looked good and she'd probably be able to go home tomorow. I sat by the bed and held her hand until she was ready to sleep.

The boys were in bed, but not asleep, when I got home at 8:30. We talked for a while and I spent a lot of time reassuring them that mom was feeling much better and would be home soon. Spiff wondered why they weren't able to visit--could he catch the cancer? He asked if we could have a day when they do nothing. And he asked when mom would be coming home. Soon, probably tomorrow, I repled. Then I asked him to tell me more of what he was feeling. "Why is it hard", I smiled a little, "nobody seems to miss dad that much when he's gone." "Mom is different," he explained, "she's always here with us". He had a lot of trouble getting to sleep tonight as the stress began to make his everyday concerns seem much more overhelming. I had to go in and comfort him several times before he finally gave in to sleep at 10:00 p.m. Entropy Boy, on the other hand, simply collapsed to sleep like an unwound top. I had to put an arm and leg back into the bed and pull up the covers.

The night wasn't all sad, however. I've got eleven things left on my list to blog and a couple of funny stories to tell tomorrow; when, hopefully, mom will be here with us again at bedtime.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Still praying for all of you! Praying she is feeling well today and will get to come home and be with her family today.
God Bless You!
Jodi(my3stars)from SL

Unknown said...

My heart goes out to Spiff.

Praying for him as well.