Monday, August 18, 2008

An Update--Please keep praying!

Posted on Sonlight's Forums July 7, 2008

I go in to a surgeon at 4 pm EST today. I'm bringing in my films, etc. from the mammogram and ultrasound. He will decide then whether to do a biopsy right in the office. Normally they wouldn't diagnose cancer right from the ultrasound/mammogram, but it was pretty clear and classic on mine: invasive carcinoma.

I have another appt on Thursday at 3 pm EST with a different surgeon just so I can have a second opinion. The second surgeon treated a woman at church that had a bilateral mastectomy 6 years ago. She talked with me for about 45 minutes on Sunday and walked me through likely scenarios. The second surgeon is at Yale, which is where our church, and therefore our support system, is based.

Thank you all for your prayers and Scriptures and support. They mean more than you can know. Thank you for being Christ's hands and feet here and now.


Update later that day:
Thank you all for the prayers.

The surgeon did some biopsies of each side at the appt. He said the left side looked benign based on his experience, but the lab results are the clincher. The right side looks malignant, but again, he's waiting on the lab report (the samples are being sent to Yale). He said the right side looks early stage and he doesn't feel anything in my lymph nodes, praise God!

The results from the lab should take 3-7 days (depending on how many techs are on duty when it comes in). I'm going to reschedule the second surgeon for after the labs so that I can go to him with the full information. I just want to have two opinions about what all my options are. I really liked the surgeon today, as did my dh. He's one of the top "breast" guys in the area. (For some reason that makes me giggle, so I must be getting my sense of humor back.)

No comments: