Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Surgery is over!

8:30 pm

The staff took me to her room. Her body, now broken, was draped in white sheets and I was as happy to see her as when I first saw her on our wedding day nearly 20 years ago. She was awake and alert.

The intern ran a few tests, adjusted her morphene, and left us alone for a while. I gave her some juice, put vaseline on her lips, and we held hands until the pain subsided.

She asked me to read through the day's blogs, comments, and emails. We laughed, we cried, and we felt your love and concern. Thank you all.

Since I arrived so late, the nurse at the desk took pity on me and let me stay an extra half-hour past the end of visiting hours. Finally, it was time to leave and drive home, alone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a long and stressfull day. Tell Sandra we are thinking about her. It looks like you two have lots of support and love from your friends. We'll check back often and see how you are doing.
Scott and Kris