Saturday, August 30, 2008

Food, Glorious Food. . .

We've probably mentioned to food at Yale Hospital already. Really, compared to my expectations, it was outstanding. It was like going to a really nice restaurant, except there weren't any snooty waiters. Oh, and my menu had narcotics on it instead of a wine list. (I'll have the salmon, a tossed salad, and some Valium please!) All right, I really had to request the Valium from my nurses, but you get the point. The Reuben was better than I have gotten from many diners, and the turkey club wrap had nice crispy bacon instead of stuff that had been sitting in a warming drawer for an hour. They also had grilled salmon, red beans and rice, and chicken smothered in salsa. Corn tortillas were always available, as were hard rolls, multi-grain bread, and rye from the deli. I can't even begin to list the variety of desserts, but I will say the cheesecake and apple crisp made staying in the hospital and extra day totally worth my while.

And the best part was that I was hungry enough to eat it. About 1/2 hour before my surgery began, my anesthesiologist put and anti-nausea patch behind my ear and then he gave me two more anti-nausea medicines later. He said "When your chest hurts like it is going to, the last thing you want to worry about is thowing up." I so appreciate him taking that extra precaution because the cheesecake was AWESOME!

--Sandy

1 comment:

Jodi said...

YUM! All of that sounds great, and it's hard to believe that you were able to get all that in a hospital! Glad to know that you were feeling well enought to be able to enjoy some food. Praying your pain is better today and that you are enjoying being at home!