Monday, August 18, 2008

Anyone want to guess what I did today?

Posted on Sonlight's Forums on July 22, 2008 (names have been deleted to protect the innocent)

I did something rather unique today (other than filling up the jukebox). I left the boys with a friend, so kids were not a part of it. Dh was at work but probably would have liked to have been a part of it.

Anyone want to guess what I did?
  • Went house shopping? I realize that answer has no chance of being correct, but it's what I've been wanting to do lately.
  • Went to a spa?
  • Forded a river? :Big Grin:
  • Sky-diving?

Well, I didn't purchase anything, but I did pick something out. It wasn't anything to do with a house though.
You picked out a new vehicle?

Nope, but I joked that I felt like I was doing so. *So* many more options than I expected.
Does it have something to do with clothing? Undergarments perhaps?
Picked out new breasts?

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

It was a very strange experience. You get all sorts of options for "perkiness" levels, what they are made of, etc.

That must've been very strange indeed.

So, how does one do this? Photos? Descriptions? Celebrity endorsements?

Oh, my gosh!!! I hope they are so cute and perky!!!
I hope you get exactly what you always secretly wished you might have had.
Oh. Tell me there's something fun to talk about here....
If there isn't, I love you forever, I'll like you for always....
I have a dear friend who after her surgery got to have a nice tight tummy.
Any hope of a redeeming story like that?

You decided on the model of the remake of the girls?

And are you ok with having done this today. It had to be not only strange but difficult. I've been worrying.

I hope you chose the Maserati and not the Prius :Big Grin:
I hope I'm not hurting your feelings or making you cry :hug: I'm coping with humor.

I cope with humor too. When the plastic surgeon had these measuring tools that he shaped into cones to get a good measurement I told him "Wow! I look like Madonna!"

The plastic surgeon took LOTS of measurements. Six ways to Sunday in measurements. Of course he was being very discrete and trying not to touch the pointy bits at the time. But he's got me standing there, hands on my hips with my chest exposed. Really, at this point, there is no modesty left.

But they do have some nice shiny brochures. Once the plastic surgeon got all my measurements and understood that I didn't want augmentation along with the reconstruction (same size or smaller please), I still had choices. Within my size stipulations, I could still go with high beams, mid-beams or low beams. Basically, how much they stick out from your body within the cup sized range.

I told him that "Lord willing that I should make it to 60yo, I don't want the chest of a 20yo." I'll likely go with mid-beams.

If I went with the nice tight tummy, it would be because the plastic surgeon took tissue from my tummy and moved it up, along with a blood supply. With two little boys at home, I didn't want that kind of complicated surgery and longer recovery time. Plus, I may get both sides done (I'm worried about having to go through this again with the left side) so that would make it even more complicated. But the nice tight tummy is tempting!

What they will do is put in an expander behind my muscles while I am in surgery for the mastectomy. Then during office visits (weekly, I think?) the plastic surgeon will pump more air into the chamber (Air Jordans!) to stretch my skin. Once my skin is stretched enough, I will go back in and have the implants put in.

The implants have about a 12 year life-span, so I can get new ones later.

No surgery date yet. I go back to the regular surgeon on Thursday to check in with him. I have a bone scan and a CAT scan at Yale-New Haven on Aug. 7. The surgeon wants to check to see if the cancer has spread anywhere else.

I'm trying to see the humor in everything. If I don't, I'll crash.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Thanks for sharing your humor. That's how I'll be dealing with mine. I appreciate that I can read through your experiences to give me a glimpse of what to expect. It's been so long since my mom lost her breasts that she didn't have the same options that you've had and that I will have.