Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thursday Afternoon Update

Sandy read through all the blog and forum comments when I arrived and it really cheered her up. I think she might have also posted to SL, but she said she's having trouble forming sentences and gave up trying to write for now.

She's in a semi-private room by the nursing station. It's a little noisy but she said it hasn't bothered her. Her roomate was in an ATV accident and is being attended by her mother. Earlier today there was also a pleasant older woman who had been in for thyroid surgery.

The lunch menu at YNH Hospital looks like it's from a nice Bistro and includes everything from vegetarian dishes to comfort foods like beef and gravy, mac and cheese and burgers. I checked, but didn't see any green Jello. Perhaps we could have special-ordered it. She chose a Ruben and was able to eat almost all without any problems.


A short while ago, she asked me to brush her hair, but when I couldn't quite figure it out (hey, I never played with dolls!), she gave up and did it herself without any pain.

There's a device like this that she's supposed to breathe into every now and then:


I'd swear it's a hookah pipe, but she says it's a breathing exercise. If she can raise all three balls, it shows she's getting some of her strength back. During the last 2-1/2 hours, she's gone from 1-1/2 balls to raising all three.

She's probably going to go home tomorrow. We're not sure yet if we'll have the boys visit. Sandy's a little concerned that it might be a bit much for them to see her hooked up to all the tubes. We'll see.

She's drifting off to sleep now, I'll probably wander down to the cafeteria for some Sushi (YNHH is a great place). I'll post again in another couple of hours.



5 comments:

Natalie said...

Way to go, Sandy! Sounds like you're doing great.

I remember asking my dh to put my hair in a ponytail once when I was in the hospital. Didn't work out so well. Evidently you aren't alone in your ineptitude with hair styling, Joe. Hope you enjoyed your sushi.

DJCEMT said...

Sandy,
We are glad that the surgery went well. We hope you have a speedy recovery.
You are in our thoughts and prayers. We really miss you guys and wish we were closer so we could help you and spend time with your whole family. Your strength is an inspiration to us. You both are very strong and we so appreciate the updates as we pray you through recovery.
Keep up the breathing exercises :)

Dave and Heather

Unknown said...

I wouldn't worry about the hair, Joe. You'll still get to open those cemented jars of jelly or mayonnaise.

-Dan

Zoorho said...

loved the breathing machine comment.
I had to use one after my surgery, sadly they didn't tell me how before hand, dang I couldn't figure out what to do Glad ya got the hang of it

Here's to 3 balls tomorrow

Unknown said...

Did your OWN hair???

Very impressive!!!

You go, girl!