Monday, August 18, 2008

Update after meeting with oncologist

Posted on Sonlight Forums on July 30, 2008

I met with my oncologist for the first time today. I LOVE her. She is funny and upbeat without glossing over what will be happening. Chemo doesn't sound like fun stuff.

On August 7th, I go to Yale for a CAT scan and a bone scan. The oncologist also wants me to get an MRI of my head. I haven't had one and with my migraines she just wants to check it out.

I have surgery scheduled for August 27th. I will have a bilateral (meaning both sides) mastectomy by the surgeon, after which the plastic surgeon will put in expanders for my breast implants. Between the two, I'll be on the operating table for about 7 hours.

After talking to the oncologist today, I will likely have a port-a-cath put in near my collarbone while I am under anesthesia. That way it is in place when I start chemo. If I don't use the port-a-cath, they are limited to my left arm between my wrist and elbow for the IV for the chemo. The port will just make it easier on my veins. Since the cancer is on the right side, I always have to make sure that I have blood pressure, etc. taken on the left for the rest of my life.
They will do a Sentinel Node Biopsy while I'm in surgery. If it comes back negative it is a good thing. If it comes back positive, they will remove more nodes and I may need radiation. Please pray for negative nodes!

To top off the day, I had a migraine when I got home. I didn't take Ambien last night before bed and I had a terrible night's sleep. Lack of sleep combined with heat and a storm front moving in means a migraine for me. I guess I'll keep taking the Ambien and worry about getting off of it later.

Lest you think the day was totally without humor, I do have a bright spot. Wigs are covered by many health insurance companies after a certain deductible. The oncologist wrote out an Rx just in case the insurance company needs it. But it isn't called a wig for insurance purposes; it is called a "cranial prosthesis."

I do feel confidence in the oncologist and the rest of my "team". We are trying to do all we can to see if the cancer is anywhere else and kill any remaining cancer cells through chemo. By following the surgery with chemo, I'll be reducing the risk of cancer coming back. I won't be eliminating it, but at least reducing it as far as man's capabilities go. God is the one ultimately in control of it.

For bible this year, we are using Desiring God's Sunday school curriculum on God's promises. It is going to be quite a theological workout with my boys as we discuss how all things work together for good for those who love God.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Sandy,

I love your blog. Your positive attitude is such an encouragement. I had to quit my job and become officially "disabled" due to chronic headaches a couple of years ago and I can say that God has been more amazing than I could have imagined. I will pray for you to have such an experience. Best wishes and prayers for your surgery.

Blessings,
Catherine

Monica said...

My mom was informing me yesterday that insurance should cover a wig when I need it. I LOL'd when I read your mention of a "cranial prosthesis." Yesterday was the first that I had ever heard of such a thing!